Your Hostess: Jenny Hadfield
This beautiful building was originally built by Samuel Jeakes in 1689 to serve the Romney Marsh sheep trade as a Wool Store and was later converted to a Baptist School. It stands in cobblestoned Mermaid Street, infamous for its association with notorious gangs of smugglers.
Breakfast, traditional or vegetarian, is served to guests in the 18th Century galleried former chapel, where there was once a Quaker Meeting House. For 23yrs Jeakes House was the home of the American poet and author Conrad Aitken, who often entertained his circle of literary friends there, including T.S.Eliot and the artist Edward Burra.
Oak-beamed and panelled bedrooms look out over the old rooftops of Rye or face South across the marsh to the sea. The rooms are furnished with antiques and brass, mahogany or four poster beds, linen sheets and lace and there is a relaxing book-lined bar furnished from old chapel pews. Unusually for Rye, there is private parking available nearby.
|Private parking without charge||No||Credit cards accepted||Yes||Specialise in Vegetarian Food||No|
|Dinner by arrangement||No||Open Christmas and New Year||Yes||Entirely non-smoking house||Yes|
|Pets accepted||Yes||Restaurant||No||Within 1/2 mile of public transport or will collect||Yes|